Manchester City Under-18s were cruely knocked out of the FA Youth Cup after a 1-0 defeat at home to Everton at the Academy Stadium.

Despite a dominant performance throughout the 90 minutes from Carlos Vicens side, a goal with the final kick of the game from Luke Butterfield proved enough to send the Toffees through to the Fifth Round.

Easter Egg Hunt


After an even start it was City who created the first real chance of the game ten minutes in, as James McAtee danced passed his man before hitting an effort from the edge of the box just wide.

Just two minutes later Vicens side came close once again, this time through the unlikely source of Callum Doyle, as the defender’s speculative effort from 25-yards forced Zan Luk Leban into a good save.

The Youth Cup holders continued to pile the pressure on Leban’s goal in hunt of an early opener.

This time Oscar Bobb was the man to try his luck as he beat his man on the right, before seeing his shot saved by the Slovenian Under-21 international at the front post.

Having opened his FA Youth Cup account in the Third Round win over Birmingham City, McAtee came close to doubling his Cup account in this one with 30 minutes on the clock.

The City number-10 played a neat one-two with Liam Delap to break into Everton box, however his one-on-one effort from close range was well saved by Leban.

With 13 goal contributions in 18 Premier League 2 games this season, it was no surprise to see McAtee play the architect in this one.

Once again the playmaker caused havoc on the Tofees defence as he wriggled his way past two men to get the front post, before pulling the ball back to Alex Robertson who fired over from close range.

Despite a dominant first half from Vicens’ side, they could have found themselves 1-0 at the break after the Toffees missed a golden opportunity two minutes before half-time.

An Everton counter-attack allowed Charlie Whitaker to find space 18-yards from goal, however his curling effort fell just wide of Mikki Van Sas‘ post.

Into the second half and just like the first, Doyle tried his luck from distance and once again forced a good save out of Leban.

The following corner found McAtee who’s blocked effort fell to the feet of Delap, who thought he’d given City the lead by finding the bottom corner, however the referee ruled out Delap‘s strike for a handball in the build-up.

One man who could not be kept out the game in the first half was McAtee, and the playmaker seemed to be having the same effect in the second half as he came close on the hour mark.

The number 10 found space on the edge of the area, drove past his man into the Everton box, before seeing his shot once again denied by the heroics of Leban at the near post.

The Everton shot-stopper was no doubt the star of the show for the Toffees at the Academy Stadium as he again denied City – this time with a doubled save – stopping Alex Robertson and then Sam Edozie from opening the scoring.

Vicens’ side did keep the ball alive, as Delap found space six yards from goal after dropping his shoulder to beat Reece Welch. The City number-nine did then beat Leban, however he also beat the crossbar as his effort fell agoninsgly over the top.

With 15 minutes left to play the game was dealt a lengthy stoppage as Robertson was penalised for a foul on Tyler Onyango. The Toffees captain was eventually stretchered off and replaced to the applaud of both his teammates and the City squad.

It was now smash and grab for Vicens team, who enterted added time camped in the Everton half. City’s bright spark, McAtee once again found space in the box but he once again saw his effort saved by Leban as he palmed McAtee’s strike round the post.

Despite all of City efforts, the visitors cruely nicked the tie with the final kick of the game as Luke Butterfield found the bottom corner from 20-yards out.


Mikki Van Sas‘ goal was protected by a back four of CJ Egan-Riley, Callum Doyle, Finley Burns and Juan Larios.

Romeo Lavia, Alex Robertson and James McAtee formed our midfield three, whilst Oscar Bobb and Sam Edozie occupying the right, and left wing.

Liam Delap led the line up-front.


Defeat for City means the defence of our FA Youth Cup crown is over, as Everton set up a Fifth Round tie with Chelsea.


Our Under-18s return to league action on April 17 at 14:00, as we take on Sunderland at the Academy of Light.

Vicens side will be looking to keep the pressure on league leaders, Manchester United as we sit two points behind United with six league games left to play.


News about Man City v Everton

Watch City Under-18s in FA Youth Cup action live on CITY+

Follow every kick of City’s Under-18s against Everton in the FA Youth Cup Fourth Round with a CITY+ subscription*.
Read more.

Watch City Under-18s in FA Youth Cup action live on CITY+

Follow every kick of City’s Under-18s against Everton in the FA Youth Cup Fourth Round with a CITY+ subscription*.
Watch more.

Source link


Write A Comment